Without a good visibility on search engines, people interested in your website will never know you even exist.
SEO practices are driven primarily by Google, and change frequently. This post, which covers important SEO tips for bloggers , has plenty of links to information pages of Google. These links will allow you to skip outdated or incorrect SEO tips that unfortunately still permeate the web.
Apart from being in constant evolution, SEO may become in some cases complicated and technical, but these tips are the basis for improving the visibility of your website on the search engines.
- 1 SEO Strategy
- 2 Optimising content
- 3 Website Structure
- 4 Composition of Content
- 5 Images and videos
- 6 Google authorship
- 7 Offsite Activities
- 8 SEO agencies to avoid
The following five points offer a general framework for your SEO activities. Perhaps a sixth point would be: do not pin all hopes on one thing. A great SEO strategy requires balance, therefore pays attention both to the opportunities of on-site optimization that those off-site.
- The quality of the content has to be your main concern for on-site SEO.
- For keywords, the user’s intent is an important consideration, since the most valuable traffic comes from users who are interested in doing business.
- Think of visibility rather than the league, because rankings vary from user to user, and users search based on the type of content (images, news, etc.).
- A steady increase in growth of organic search traffic is usually the best indicator of a good SEO campaign.
- As regards the link building, quality is more important than quantity.
Your website must not only keep readers interest, must also be constructed so that Google can find it, read it and display it properly in search results. Even the most brilliant content must be optimized in order to use its full potential for visibility.
- Set the default URL of the post as the page titles.
- The page title (H1 tag) should be equal to the default title tags.
- The page title should include keywords, preferably at the beginning.
- The page titles should always be unique and relevant to the content.
- Users of WordPress should use Yoast WordPress SEO Plugin or All in One SEO pack .
- Always write a unique meta description and appealing, with a call to action (if necessary) for your page, as it will increase the click-through rate .
- Read this page of Google with extreme care to know basic concepts of titles and descriptions. Titles and Snippets
- Include sharing buttons on social networks on all of your pages as social signals are related to the Google rankings.
Many themes for WordPress and other CMS platforms are SEO-friendly, but when you modify them it makes a big difference with respect to Google’s ability to find and classify content.
- Avoid long blogroll in the sidebar, as too many outbound links can reduce the positioning.
- Do not participate in link exchange programs.
- Link internally to important pages on your website, but do it selectively.
- Avoid anchor text full of keywords for outbound links, unless they are extremely relevant and respect the natural flow within the narrative.
- Use Google Webmaster Tools to identify and fix broken links and other problems damaging the site for SEO.
- Redirect all URLS of your website to “www” (tuosito.it → www.tuosito.it).
- Use robots.txt to prevent Google personalised page scanning that does not need indexing, such as content off topic.
- To improves the speed of loading pages get good hosting, empty the cache, use image compression and other techniques.
Composition of Content
Going back five years or so, the SEO copywriting involved a lot of rules about how and where to insert the keywords in a post. Today, Google is smart enough to interpret the theme of a page and its relevance without strict adherence to these rules, which is great news for website owners who want to focus on human readers!
- Original content beats the duplicate content by a large margin.
- Do not overuse keywords in the text of the post.
- Keywords underlined, italic, bold, or in numbered or bulleted lists are slightly more powerful than keywords in plain text.
- The number of words is not as important as it once was, but all other things being equal, the longer your oages are the better placed your website will be.
- Your priority should be to write SEO useful, relevant and authoritative content for human readers, because that’s what Google is looking for.
Images and Videos
The search for images and video on Google can attract a huge amount of traffic . If you are a creative business such as graphic design, or any kind of business where customers may want to see pictures or videos then image and video optimization are essential.
- Use relevant keywords in the file name of the image.
- Write descriptive alt text for images as simple sentence.
- Write useful and interesting image captions, because they keep visitors on your page longer.
- Follow the guidelines for webmasters to publish Google Images .
- Follow the best practices for video Google Webmaster.
Traditionally, Google primarily associated the content to the website on which it is published. Google authorship is a new program that instead maps the contents to its author. In time, we will probably see the authors of high authority ranking higher than authors of lower authority, making it important for bloggers to start now to participate in the authorship program.
- Actively participates on Google+.
- Since the original content is immediately indexed and ranked in Google, write original , useful content full of keywords on your Google+ posts .
- Link your Google+ profile to all blogs and sites where you write.
- Whenever possible, connect the Google+ profiles of guest bloggers on your blog.
- Write good content on Google+ to appear in search results of Google.
When relevant and high quality websites link to your website, it is as if to say to Google that your blog content is authoritative, relevant, useful and interesting. Establish and maintain a solid profile link is probably the most important SEO activity on which you need to commit.
- Allow guest posting on important and influential blogs to build inbound links.
- Invite relevant and influential bloggers to do a guest post on your blog, to build social and business traffic.
- Be ultra-selective when subscribing to directories, they are generally not the most effective way to build inbound links.
- Avoid making link building duplicate content on websites of press releases.
- Avoid making link building by posting press releases “non-news”.
- Review the profile of your links, remove links to sites of poor quality, fixes broken links and update the links good in accordance with modern best practice.
- Optimize your YouTube channel and video.
Agencies to Avoid
Many website owners work with SEO agencies or freelancers, in order to cover all steps above. There are a lot of very talented people to choose from – but there are also some that bloggers you would do well to avoid.
- Avoid agencies that promise you number 1 in Google or tons of free links.
- Avoid agencies that do not have a documented transparent description of their methodology.
- Avoid agencies that do not provide detailed reports of the activities and / or results.
- Avoid agencies that do not provide customer references.
- Avoid agencies that speak too technical.
As you can see, there is already a lot of stuff to digest, and as for the SEO, this is still just an appetizer.